Printing, Scanning, Copying
Printing, scanning, and copying are important functions for homework and research. This page addresses some of the most common questions encountered with these tasks, including:
Where are the...
Do these services cost?
Plug and Play Printing
Scanning to Email
Printing on the Second Floor
Where are the...
Most of the printers are on the First Floor. LIBKIOSKX55 and LIBREFX55 are located between the kiosk computers and the workstation computers. LIBREFX71 (the color printer) is behind the Reference Desk near the entrance to the Heritage Room. The Brother Plug and Play printers are located, one each, at the kiosks between the Circulation and Reference Desks.
On the Second Floor, there are two printers, one at each kiosk. One is near the front stairs and another is near the back stairs.
On the Third Floor, there is a printer at the kiosk near the back stairs.
There is currently just one scanner, the LIBREFX71 behind the Reference Desk, near the entrance to the Heritage Room.
There are four available copiers. On the First Floor, the Xerox Workcentre Bookmark 40 and Xerox Workcentre 7120 (LIBREFX71) copiers are located behind the Reference Desk. On the Second Floor, a Xerox machine is located at the kiosk near the front stairs. On the Third Floor, the Lanier machine is located at the kiosk near the back stairs.
Do These Services Cost?
All printing, including color printing, and scanning is free. On the First and Second floors, black and white copying costs 15 cents per job. Black and white copying on the Third Floor is free. Color copying at the LIBREFX71 costs 25 cents per job.
Choose LIBREFX71 as your printer. You will see a Print Job Notification. Select “No” to print to LIBREFX71, indicating that you do NOT want to print to LIBREFX55 instead.
Plug and Play Printing:
- If you have never printed on the Plug and Play printers before, you will need to download the appropriate driver. Ask at the Circulation Desk for the CD-Rom.
- Make sure the Brother HL 2270 DW printer is selected and is online. You can tell if it is online by going to the printer folder and placing your cursor over the printer icon. The status of the driver will pop up. If the status is Ready, the driver is working. Choose this printer when printing.
- If you have changed which USB port you use to connect your computer to the Plug and Play, or if you have installed the driver more than once, multiple icons with the same printer name may have been created. In this case, some drivers might work, but others might not.
- Bear in mind that if you print from both Plug and Plays, you may have downloaded two drivers. If one does not work, select the other.
- If you have any other problems, please ask for help at the Circulation or Reference desks.
Scanning to Email:
- Load your original document on the document glass or in the document feeder.
- If the screen is off, hit “Energy Saver” button (Clear button at top right, which might be lit green).
- Select “New Recipient”: using the touch screen keyboard, enter your complete email address, then select “+Add,” then select “Close.”
- Repeat Step 4 to add additional recipients to the list. When all recipients have been added to the list, select “Close.”
- A default subject is provided for the email (this usually will say “Scan from a Xerox WorkCentre”). To change the subject, select “Subject.” Using the touch screen keyboard, enter the new subject, then select “Save.”
- To change any of the scan settings, select the four menus at the bottom of the control panel: Color Scanning, 2-Sided Scanning, Original Type, and Scan Presets.
- Setting color scanning overrides automatic detection. Set to Color, Black & White, or Grayscale.
- Select 2-sided scanning to scan both sides of the paper to produce a multi-page image. If possible, use the document feeder to scan 2-sided originals. If your original document cannot be fed through the document feeder, use the document glass to manually perform 2-sided scanning.
- With Original Type, chose from Photo & Text, Text, or Photo.
- When setting the Scan Presets, choose from Sharing & Printing, Archival-Record, OCR, High Quality Printing, or Simple Scan.
- Additional scanning options allow precise control of the scanning process. Many of these optional settings override the automatic settings. Instructions on the touch screen describe the use of these options.
- If an item is obviously larger than 8.5 x 11, as many books are, select “Layout Adjustment,” select “Original Size,” and select “Manual Size Input.” If necessary, use the guides on the sides of the document glass to determine which size you should input. If you skip this step and an item is too large, the machine will prompt you to provide the correct dimensions.
- Hit “Start” button (Large green button).
- While the machine scans the page, select “Next Original” on the right side of the screen. This is the signal to add pages to your file.
- When done scanning your file, select “Last Original” on the right side of the screen. This is the signal for your file to be sent.
- If you wish to scan additional documents and have set scan settings (in Step 7), you will need to go back to those settings and cancel them. Alternatively, you can hit the “Clear All” button and reenter your email address.
- When done scanning, hit “Clear All” button (Yellow button) when done to clear your email address.
Printing on the Second Floor:
The second floor printers are each connected to only one of the two computers at the kiosk. If you need to print on the second floor, please use LIBKIOSK10 near the front stairs and LIBKIOSK12 near the back stairs.